woensdag 2 januari 2013

Gelukkig Nieuwjaar!

2013 already?! It's always interesting to look back and think about what you were doing last New Years, what were your worries, goals, etc. I spent it in North Carolina with my family of course, eating an extravagant dinner at my gramma's while waiting for the ball to drop in New York on TV. Maybe even a few fireworks across the swamp from her house.

This New Years Eve was as if I was in a whole different world! In a good way, that is. I woke up at nine...why? Well, starting at nine every minute or so I could hear the popping and booms of fireworks. Throughout the day that time interval between fireworks decreased, until literally I could only hear fireworks!

 Early in the day I went to Zoetemeer (neighboring city) with Fiona, Maartje and Beau. We were looking for shoes for both Fiona and I. Not only did I find shoes, I also bought black pants and a cute sparkly top for the party that evening! The rest of the day I spent at home, where the Dijkstras (family friends) came over to celebrate. Rob made "oliebollen," which could quite possibly be the BEST food ever. What are they? Deep fried raisin bread with powdered sugar! It's a Dutch food traditionally eaten on New Years. 
Around Christmas time, there are stands in town or markets which sell them specifically also. They are dangerously LEKKER. 
Until midnight, we all played games and socialized! I use the word "gezellig" too often I think, but the thing is most situations here can only be described as gezellig! This night would be one of them. When midnight struck, we all toasted each other, saying "gelukkig nieuwjaar" of course! Afterwards, we went outside and watched all the fireworks being shot up into the sky, and lit some of our own too! I had never lit fireworks before. It was so much fun! 

At 12:20 I had to meet Maartje on the main road, so that we could bike together to Pascale's. Dennis biked with me (he had is own party to go to) which was good because it was a bit nerve racking! At midnight, all hell breaks loose here. Everyone is outside on the road lighting fireworks! Maartje's dad biked her to where we were meeting up too. From there, just Maartje and I biked to Pascale's to meet up with Beau, Pascale, Fiona and Pascale's friend Kevin! We all walked in the rain to De Akkers Sports Hall where The New Beginning party was. The line was so long, we must have waited forty-five minutes! Finally we got in though, amongst about 1500 other people. It was such a fun night, dancing and socializing under strobe lights! Best New Years ever, also a night I will never forget. 

The next morning we woke up at ten in the morning! Fiona was packing her stuff quickly because she was going to France that day, and we had slept in an extra two hours. The rest of us had to make it to the New Years Dive on time to get tickets! Doubtful of that happening, we still rushed out the door and headed to the metro station. In Scheveningen (the beach where the Nieuwjaarsduik is most famous), luckily there were a few tickets left! 
The New Years Dive is an event completely out of this world. Over 10,000 people gather at Scheveningen, clad with bright orange hats and prepared to jump into the ocean. Mind you, it is winter time here. When the clock struck twelve, every single person on the beach raced into the water in bathing suits. I had never seen or done anything so crazy! The water was FREEZING, but it was so much fun. Music was blasting, and everyone there was so happy. It was nuts. 
After those 24 hours, I was exhausted to say the least. Today, the second of January, I played tennis in the morning and have done absolutely nothing since! It's been so nice to have a day off...I watched The Notebook, and will probably watch Pretty Little Liars the rest of the day. Tomorrow, I'm headed to Amsterdam in the morning to meet up with Alaine! Can't wait!

-Molly

1 opmerking:

  1. Aaah you blogged (?) again :) these days were so much fun! Have fun tomorrow!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen