maandag 14 januari 2013

IAMsterdam

On the third of January, I woke up to catch an early bus into Rotterdam. From there, I trained to AMSTERDAM for the very first time! I had never seen the city in daylight, for the only time I had been was to see Blof in concert at the Ziggo Dome. I met Alaine, a friend from Homer whom I worked with over the past summer. She's studying in Germany, and she and two other friends had been traveling through Europe the past three weeks, Amsterdam being their last stop!

We rented bikes for seven euros, and cycled around the city. It's gorgeous! The tall, skinny buildings squished together on each side of canals. Of course, Amsterdam is also known for it's legal soft drug use (marijuana), in which friends had always told me you can smell it everywhere you went! I always thought that was an exaggeration, but to my surprise it was not...at all. Literally around every corner the strong, recognizable whiff would hit me, even in the train station! The drug, probably for the attraction of tourists, almost dominates the town. Any souvenir shop is stocked with t-shirts, magnets, lighters, glasses, you name it- plastered with the well-known green leaf. Very different than any other cities I've been to in Holland!

Alaine, Andrea, Danae, Austin and I continued to explore the city. We visited the famous Rijksmuseum, where the most gorgeous collection of Delft-ware is (blue/white pottery made in Delft). We also went to Anne Franks House, but unfortunately not inside. The line seemed miles long and we only had a few hours. This was okay with me, being as I will visit it with AFS in a few months.

I had such a nice time catching up with Alaine, hearing how her studies and experiences abroad have been. It seems as if we miss similar things about Homer, but are both having the experience of a lifetime. I was so glad to see her, it was weird being in my (now) home country with someone from the same place as me. Almost like we could just as easily be hanging out, walking around Homer talking....but instead we're in a whole different continent.

We didn't make it to the Van Gogh museum, because it was about seventeen euros per person. I'm sure I will eventually, maybe when Maddie comes! I would really like to. Speaking of, she will be buying her tickets to come see me in May soon!

On the sixth of January, I went to Amsterdam again with Marijke, for an AFS skating get-together. I am horrible at skating, as were many other students, so it was quite entertaining. A few of the students had come to the Netherlands last march, and were leaving in one week. So it was really great to get to say good-bye! Unfortunately I had to leave a bit early, because ever since the Nieuwjaarsduik I have been very sick. Luckily today I am finally feeling a bit better (after two weeks). Tomorrow I will go to school for the first time technically this year, and take an english test. Friday I have my math test, and then in the evening will go out for sushi with my class, and possibly Vierkuntje afterwards.

That's all for now! Today, the fourteenth of January, is Maddie's 19th birthday. Sad that I can't be with her to celebrate, but I know she's having plenty of fun. Miss her so much.

-Molly

3 opmerkingen:

  1. Deze reactie is verwijderd door de auteur.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I'm going to The Netherlands as an exchange student with afs in August, and I'm so happy to find your blog because there aren't to many around.. :D I'll definitely be following!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. I hope you enjoy! I will try to update it more often :) if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email me at molly.g.bowen@gmail.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen