dinsdag 14 mei 2013

Reunited and it feels so good!

Finally I am reunited with the most important person in my life...my sister, as well as best friend. She flew in Sunday, where Marijke, Tim, Renee and I awaited her arrival. Tim and Marijke snuck away and bought her a bouquet of tulips to surprise her with, which was so sweet! I watched her through the window as she got her bags, trying to hold back the tears that were swelling in my eyes. Of course I was unsuccessful when we hugged, but at that moment I couldn't have cared less. I was with Maddie once again!

Once home and acquainted with everyone, I began to unpack for her. I swear that she brought more stuff with her than I did! I was hoping that she would bring a suitcase half empty, so that I could send her home with all of my winter clothes. Helaas, it looks like we will have to look into buying a second suitcase! I did enjoy looking through all of her new clothes that I had never seen, all of which I hope to borrow at some point!

The rest of the day was spent mostly at home, eating dinner with everyone and talking. At one point we walked to het dorp (Bergschenhoek), but of course, being that it was Sunday, all of the stores were closed. Braaf was open, and Maddie was eager to buy her first legal drink! She said that she would buy, so of course I went along, and enjoyed a glass of wine. We shared stories and photos for an hour, and for a moment I felt just like I was home again.

Monday she came to school with me! I was so excited to show her my school, to meet my friends, and sit in on my lessons. I'm sure she thought it was a bit boring due to the language barrier, but I was still glad that she came! Afterwards we went to Rotterdam, to go shopping...Surprisingly we both only ended up buying one thing each- I think that I have become too Dutch when it comes to spending money! That's probably a good thing though...


After enjoying a nice sandwich for lunch in Bergschenhoek, we went back to Rotterdam for more of an educational/cultural experience. We visited the Boijman van Beuningen museum, as well as the large outside market. Unfortunately the rain got the best of us, as we ended up running from tent to tent in the market until finally giving in and buying an umbrella. Welcome to the weather in the Netherlands Maddie! She had even curled her hair that morning...poor girl!


The museum was nice as always, but then again doing anything with her would have been nice! I think she was impressed though....I hope so!

Around nine this evening, Maddie wanted to go do something- like walk around town. I hesitated, but agreed of course. To her surprise, Bergschenhoek was empty once again; everything was closed and not a person was in sight. Coming from Boulder I could see how this would be a shock, but I guess I had gotten so used to it that I never thought closing times were weird here....luckily, one Pizza Shop was open, where we grabbed a Ben&Jerry's Ice cream to go. Tomorrow Marijke, Renee, Dennis, Maddie and I will be headed to the zoo! Although I have only been once, the zoo in Rotterdam is still one of my favorite places that I've been...hopefully the weather will be nice!

-Molly

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten