maandag 1 april 2013

Belgium, Reusel, en Pasen!

Distance seemed unreal here in the Netherlands this past weekend- Friday I hopped on the train to Tilburg to visit my friend Marlie, Saturday we spent the day in Antwerp, and Sunday I came back home to Bergschenhoek. 
Who knew that for three euros and only a few minutes in the bus, you could be in Belgium? It still seems crazy to me! Marlie, who is a former AFS student, lives in Reusel, a small town outisde of Tilburg. This part of the Netherlands is more farm-like, has more open spaces and trees. In contrast to Rotterdam, you could even say it was full of nature! Friday I ate dinner with her family, who is also hosting an AFS student, Laura, from Brazil. 

Reusel is in the south province of the Netherlands, called "Brabant." Wherever you travel in the Netherlands, people's accents will differ. Here, people pronounce the "g" softer than in Rotterdam for example. For me, it took a bit more concentration to understand what was being said at the dinner table due to this difference in pronunciation. 

Saturday morning, we met up with another AFS student, Caetano, who is from Mexico. He had been to Antwerp many times before, which made him a great tour guide! After two buses and literally three euros, we were in the heart of Antwerp, Belgium. The first thing we did was eat Belgian waffles of course! It was the best waffle I have ever eaten, and that I will probably ever eat in my life! Mhmm, and drizzled with rich Belgian chocolate...to die for. I'm glad I didn't choose Belgium for a host country, because I'm sure I'd eat one of these every day!

The rest of the day was spent walking through the streets of Antwerp, and of course shopping. The country itself doesn't look too different from Holland, because the buildings are very similar in structural design; tall, skinny, quirky roof architecture. 

We walked passed incredible musicians on the main shopping street, famous statues, and of course went into Antwerp Central Station- where the well-known, huge flash mob took place about a year ago. 

Caetano then took us to a cafe, that had the best hot chocolate (and other chocolate drinks) I have ever tasted! I really don't think chocolate gets much better than in Belgium. De-licious. 


Before I knew it, the day was over and we were on the bus headed back home. Well, to Reusel that is. Sunday morning, I enjoyed an "gezellig" Easter brunch with her family- mother, father, sister, Laura and grandmother. We also hunted for chocolate Easter eggs outside! 

Afterwards, her dad- who owns a construction machine that lifts people up very high- let us go up on it! I could see most of Reusel, and the Tilburg tower. It was like their own personal Euromast!

Soon after, I hopped back on the train and headed to Rotterdam Central Station, took the metro to Rodenrijs, the bus to Bergschenhoek, and walked home from there. For dinner, we had "gourmet," where everyone gets their own mini-frying pan, and cooks whatever small slices of meat, fish, shrimp, vegetables, or anything that they want! Not to mention, mini-pancakes for dessert. Soooooo good! 

This week, I'm off from school (done with my tests). Friday is "Mentordag," which means every class will do something together outside of school.  Tim's class is participating in a pain-ball war I think, and mine is taking a Cocktail Workshop in Scheveningen and eating sushi afterwards! I can't wait- the school even pays for it! 

Still loving it over here, as always.
-Molly

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten